Quidenham is a small rural village and civil parish in the English county of Norfolk. It covers an area of 22.51 km2 (8.69 sq mi) and had a population of 576 in 183 households at the 2001 census, falling to a population of 560 living in 189 househods at the 2011 Census. For the purposes of local government, it falls within the district of Breckland. It is situated 10 miles (16 km) north-east of the town of Thetford and 24 miles (39 km) south-west of the city of Norwich. The place-name 'Quidenham' is first attested in the Domesday Book of 1086, where it appears as 'Cuidenham', and means 'Cwida's ham or village'. The name 'Cwida' corresponds to the Old High German name 'Quito'. There is a local tradition that Queen Boudica or Boadicea is buried in Quidenham.
A manor house is known to have existed on the site as far back as the year 1000; it passed to the Bedingfeld family around 1400. In 1572 the manor was bought by John Holland, a local Member of Parliament. The present house dates to around 1600 when John's son, Thomas, started building it. The East Wing and West portico were added later by John Bristow. The house remained in the Holland family until around 1800 when it was bought by George Keppel, 3rd Earl of Albemarle: it then passed down the Keppel family. It was regularly visited by Edward VII in the early years of the 20th century. In 1948 the house was acquired from the Keppel family by the Carmelites of Rushmere who have re-established it as a Carmelite nunnery and hospice for sick children.
This location is thought to be the site of the palace of the East Anglian bishops, given to them sometime before 1066. Surviving earthworks take the form of a series of incomplete ditched enclosures and a pond-like depression. Some brick and tile fragments have also been recovered as further evidence of this building. Metal detecting at this site in 1993 and 1996 has recovered a diverse range of finds including a Saxon girdle hanger, three medieval buckles and a sword-belt fastener and a post medieval lead cloth seal.